Happy New Year! I know we all are certainly united by Hope for the New Year. Good Health seems to be at the forefront of that Hope. My wish for you, your family, your friends, and your community is optimum health this year. There are so many things that are out of our control to achieve our Best Health. However, there are definitely a few areas that we do have control over. One is managing our stress. Yes! That word that we are oh so tired of hearing. That word that just seems ridiculous, and is so very exhausting to keep discussing. I know you know that we are stressed. Just trying to implement new routines to safeguard our health and those around us – it’s stressful.
So, why keep bringing up stress??? Because we have become so used to it, and are numb to its effects. Because at the end of the day we have had so much to deal with, stress certainly isn’t at the forefront of what we want to address. If we do address it – we may not address it in ways that are good for our bodies. I wonder if we have just decided stress is a badge of honor. That if one’s stress is minimal that you must not be doing something right – or you’re just lazy.
I believe by now you have an understanding that stress takes a toll on your body. I will remind you in some vital ways just how it does, in case you forgot.
- Rapid Breathing
- Pounding Heart
- Increased Depression
- Weakened Immune System
- High Blood Sugar
- Increase of Heart Attack
- Stomach Ache and Distress
- Tense Muscles
I will stop at this point – yes, there are many more. The long term effects are worse. Can you afford to ignore them, or use other methods that cause more damage to your body? Doubtful! Stress isn’t going anywhere, and you have to manage it. Especially if you have others that depend on you. They need you, and they need the best version of you. The healthy version!
First, you have to be motivated and dedicated to address the stress. All of our routines have been changed and we don’t want another added task! With that in mind I want to give you just a few tools that are easily achievable.
- Positive self talk – this is right off the bat a game changer. Find ways to talk to yourself in a kind and uplifting manner. When you find yourself being negative – stop! The brain is trainable! Train it to be more positive – especially about you!
- Deep Breathing/Meditating – Take a few moments out of your day to take some slow and deep belly breaths! This is so easy and is very effective. Find time daily to take a few mins to meditate. Pray. Focus on something positive. Think about your happy place. Yes, cheesy but this is easy and it helps.
- Be sensitive to the information you are taking in. I believe I will dive into this more in another post. When you ingest the news constantly, social media, people who are constantly negative you are having a major impact on your psyche. This adds to your stress. Find positive sources of information. The power of suggestion is powerful. Let it be positive.
- Exercise – oh my word – I know! I have to mention it – even to myself. Ugh!
- Commit small if you have a difficult time achieving this. Commit to two of three days a week – 20 minute walks and build from there. Just find a way to keep moving. Remember a body at rest stays at rest!
Last, my gift to you is to not mention diet. I will just leave that to you for the time being. You’re welcome.
Happy New Year Dear Friends! I hope this year brings you much peace and prosperity. Most of all I hope it brings you Good Health!